Fern Ford and I were at Walden and Sawhill Ponds early this morning and also
saw many migrants and breeders.  I was amazed at the number on or near the
ground, especially several Western Tanagers.  Also seen were a Virginia's
Warbler, a singing Wilson's Warbler, Warbling Vireos, Western Wood Pewees,
two Eastern Kingbirds and many Bullock's Orioles; we saw several late
White-crowned Sparrows in addition to many breeding Yellow Warblers
(building nests).  Spotted Sandpipers were seemingly everywhere.

Fern found a Pied billed Grebe on a nest in cattails in the northwest part
of the second pond (did not see the Least Bittern) after we entered the
Sawhill property from Walden and a Mourning Dove on a nest with chicks just
west of Cottonwood Marsh.

A Little Blue Heron was actively hunting for small fish in the far
northwestern corner of Cottonwood Marsh; we did not not see the Great Egret.

We did not see any rare warblers; however, we did not spend very much time
on or near the boardwalk.

Paula Hansley
Louisville