Dear Cobirders,
I decided to finally check out some of the trails in the foothills between North and South St. Vrain Creeks yesterday. I started by driving up US 36 past Pinewood Springs to FS 181 (paved). Although the road begins in Larimer County it quickly crosses back in to Boulder County and remains there. I continued down FS 181 to a Y- junction and took the left fork. The road is a bit rough, but I was able to drive to within a few 100 yards of the gate with a Volkswagen Golf. This gate (and a sign a few 100 ft away) mark the beginning of the Coulson Gulch trail. I followed the Coulson Gulch trail south to the North St. Vrain River and then the Button Rock trail west along the raging North St. Vrain to the North Sheep Mountain trail. Then it was back up the North Sheep Mountain trail to FS 118 and back to the trailhead, a total of 8.3 miles.

The birding was fantastic; although I did not see a Lewis' Woodpecker, the remote location coupled with the great habitat along the North St. Vrain River could make this the last refuge of Lewis' Woodpecker in the County. In addition, some of the more remote Aspen groves could harbor Flammulated Owl (I've seen them in this region, but not yesterday). Typical mountain species were abundant including MacGillivray's Warbler (or Mourning, you'd have to read Ted's ID Frontiers post), Audubon's Warbler, Green-tailed Towhee, Broad-tailed Hummingbird, &c. The best bird of the day was a Northern Goshawk catching a Chickaree near the intersection of the Button Rock trail and the North Sheep Mountain trail. The Goshawk was then mobbed by Steller's Jays and flew through the forest, up the North Sheep Mountain trail. Possibly because of it's remote location, 2/3 of my Northern Goshawk sightings in the County have been in the North St. Vrain River drainage.

This valley has incredible potential for birding and access from the Coulson Gulch trail is not difficult. The entire loop trail is quite an undertaking and although the North Sheep Mountain trail is well- worn, it doesn't appear to get much traffic. Navigation back to the Coulson Gulch trailhead is on wide 4WD roads, but is extremely poorly marked, so a good map is necessary. If you do make it out to the intersection of FS 118 and the North Sheep Mountain trail, you will be awarded with spectacular views of Mt. Meeker, Long's Peak and the Diamond. Although I haven't attempted it, the approach from CR 82E in Meeker Park could be another option for the North Sheep Mountain trail and the Bright Trail, which is also likely a great trail.

Cheers,
Walter Szeliga
Boulder, CO