Dear Cobirders,
A non-birder friend of mine informed me yesterday that he saw a "sandpiper" on Friday evening, along the Cottonwoods Trail in Boulder just south of Jay Rd. The bird perched up on a wooden fence-post and didn't seem too bothered by the light foot traffic. While he isn't familiar with sandpiper identification, he noted that it looked just like the "sandpipers" he had seen previously on fence-posts outside of Edmonton, Alberta. My first thought was Upland Sandpiper, and although Upland Sandpiper would be exceptional in Boulder County in June, I decided to check it out tonight (20 June).

I arrived at the location, 1/4 mile south of Jay Rd., at around 7PM and immediately heard and saw a winnowing Wilson's Snipe high above. The only other "shorebird" present was a distant Killdeer. I poked around a bit more and turned up a Red-eyed Vireo high in the trees along the path, a Common Nighthawk and an immature American Robin along with the usual suspects.

For those interested in birding this lovely section of creek, the closest acceptable parking is in the lot along Independence Rd. just west of the Boulder Airport. From there, head north along a winding, wide path for 1 mile, this will place you at a N-S, straight, section of path 1/4 mile south of Jay Rd. The "sandpiper" was along the wire fence with randomly placed wooden posts along the path.

I make no promises about the true ID of the "sandpiper".

Cheers,
Walter Szeliga
Boulder, CO