I was in the San Luis Valley over the weekend visiting family. We spent
Saturday night camping at Trujillo Meadows Campground (Highway 17 between
Antonito CO and Chama NM). The woods around camp site 38 were full of
American Three-toed Woodpeckers. Also seen at this location were Red
Crossbill, Ruby-crowned Kinglet, Western Tanager, Spotted Sandpiper, Lincoln
Sparrow etc. A lot of babies in the woods trying to learn how to feed
themselves.

At Smith Reservoir in Costilla county I found a Black-necked Stilt. I have
not seen one in the Valley before. Also found was a Blue Grosbeak. This is
also a good spot to see Eared Grebe with back riding babies. They tend to
hang out near the shore by the parking lot.

Robb Hinds
Colorado Springs