I have seen several large flock of Pinyon Jays at 9100' in my BBA 2 block in SE Park County
Dave

From: "Mariner James" <jmari...@me.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2010 4:31 PM
To: <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [cobirds] Pinyon Jays in Custer County

We have had a cabin in the Wet Mountains (near Rosita) at 9000" elevation and have observed pinyon jays in various sized flocks throughout the summers over the past 19 years. Flocks vary from 10-15 to well over 50. We usually take down our birdfeeders when the pass through because they will empty us out in a few minutes. This summer, I have seen both evening and black-headed grosbeaks for the first time as well as the usual suspects: yellow-rumped warblers, northern flickers, hairy woodpeckers, Williamson's sapsuckers, pine siskins, mountain chickadees, wb and pigmy nuthatches, rufous and broadtailed hummers, western wood pewees, and cordilleran flycatchers. Nesting in boxes on our acre this summer were western bluebirds, v-g swallows, a house wren mountain chicadees,and pigmy nuthatches.

I even had a bobcat walk past me w/in 5 feet while I was reading on our ground-level deck. He was chased off by a doe.

Jim Mariner
Colorado Springs