Well, I guess Pinyon Jays aren't too unusual in Custer County above 9000 feet
and other places in Colorado.  I think more interesting is the habitat and
trees at my cabin are a bit unusual for them, since there are mostly Aspens,
Spruce, and a few Ponderosa Pines.  There are no Pinon Pines or Pinon Juniper
around there, like there is in the Rosita area, where Pinyon Jays are fairly
easy to find.  Of course, after the breeding season, Pinyon Jays wander where
ever to find food, so it is possible to see them anywhere.  I still remember
seeing 100 or so Pinyon Jays flying down the Cimarron River in Morton County,
Kansas, one September.  While up at the cabin is past week, I didn't see or
hear any Pinyon Jays, so just a one time visit to the cabin so far.

Good birding,

Brandon Percival

Pueblo West, CO