Birders,

Cole Wild and I relocated the sub-adult white morph Reddish Egret this afternoon at John Martin Reservoir. It is on mudflats on the current west end of the reservoir. If it is with the huge flock of American White Pelicans, it can be surprisingly hard to locate, especially if it is on the south side of the lake and you are on the north side of the lake.

There is an alternative viewing site, best in the late afternoon sun. From south of Las Animas on State Highway 109, cross the Purgatoire River, and drive alternately east and north several times, finally reaching the railroad tracks that head due east on the south side of the Arkansas River. Drive east along the tracks for several miles, passing through sand sage habitat. There will be a railroad crossing with a stop sign in the middle of nowhere. Drive north across the tracks, and follow the rough two-track generally east on a complicated route for about three miles to bluffs with gravel tops just west of the railroad trestle. The mudflats are much closer from the bluffs, if you can find them. We were able to see the Reddish Egret very well in the late afternoon from this spot, and Cole was able to take photographs.

Duane Nelson
Las Animas, Bent County, CO