Yesterday I took advantage of the cooler weather to do some birding in the
La Junta area including some of the canyon area to the south. When I spotted
some birds about a quarter mile away starting to ride a thermal I expected
it would be a kettle of hawks.  To my surprise it was instead a kettle of
ravens--about 70-80 of them.  As I watched the kettle grow it seemed as
though someone blew a train whistle to signal that it was time to go as
ravens just started coming from over the canyon walls and out of all parts
of the area to join in.  I believe they were Chihuahuan Ravens as a few
closer birds sounded and looked like them.  By the time I got my tripod out
and set-up to video this spectacle almost all of them had vanished, likely
riding off on the thermal high in the sky.

Last January I observed a much larger group of more than 500 Chihuahuan
Ravens rise in two kettles in West Texas--they rose higher and higher until
each group went off high above the ground in different directions.  I have
read that winter gatherings of Chihuahuan Ravens in that area and New Mexico
can mount into the thousands.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com