I am posing this as a question rather than a sighting with any great degree
of certainty, if anyone could advise me on whether a Winter Wren has any
degree of likelihood in Colorado in the first week of September, I would
appreciate it.

This afternoon at apx. 2:30 pm I was walking along the Singletree trail just
SW of old Superior.   From the trailhead heading west there is a good
stretch of heavy brush on the right (north) side, then an old tailing hill,
and immediately to the west a group of large cottonwoods.  I was directly
under those trees shooting photos of some Towhees and Doves out in the
distance when I heard a rustling in the low groundcover at my feet.   My
impression was 100% mouse - it was making small moves out of sight, in thick
vegetation 4-6 inches high, but its progress could be perceived as it moved
around.    I was completely surprised when a tiny Wren popped out almost at
my feet.  I didn't even attempt a photo, my lens was extended and focused
way beyond something that close, and motion would have sent it back to cover
even faster.    I had 2-3 long seconds as it turned at my feet.   My
impression was an overall chocolate brown bird, with very limited
markings.   It gave a couple of short, exposed hopping moves at my feet,
flew a short distance to the fallen trunk, and then dove to the larger
shrubs beyond.   It did not reemerge, and I did not pick up any notes or
calls, (but firebombers are flying directly over the site repeatedly this
afternoon).  There is a dried creekbed to the north, but I am not aware of
any open water near the site.

I am going to try to relocate this afternoon, but was wondering if this was
just completely out of line for this time of year.   Any insight would be
appreciated.

--
David Alcock
Broomfield, CO