Today at Grandview Cemetery (GC), Fort Collins (Larimer), I had a sapsucker
with a brown-spangled back, red cap, gray nape, and a two-toned red-and-white
throat.  My first views (which did not include good looks at the throat)
convinced me this hyper, over-sugared individual was an early Yellow-bellied.
But much walking and more walking finally yielded better looks.  It appeared to
have the nape and back characteristics of Yellow-bellied and throat and
side-of-the-face characteristics of an adult female Red-naped.  I have always
thought the back color was very suggestive, even downright consistent, between
the two species: warm brown and black for Yellow-bellied, light gray and black
for Red-naped.  The lack of red on the nape this early in the fall can be an
iffy character, as a red feather or two could easily hide.   Just another
reminder that sapsucker ID is tough, that all characters are necessary, some
"pure" individuals may still be undeterminable, and hybrids, especially ones
with attention deficit, just ain't fair.

In the hackberries, lots of bird activity including:
Starlings, Flickers, Robins, and House Finches
Wilson's Warbler (1)  getting late
Townsend's Warbler (1)  getting late
Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1)  about time

Red-breasted Nuthatches were busily taking Douglas-fir seeds from cones to
nearby Colorado Blue Spruce crowns for caching.

I have not seen magpies at the cemetery all summer and today 3 were foraging
together (on what?) deep within the crowns of Colorado Blue Spruce.

In addition, there was other serious action at GC: 2 simultaneous funerals and
2 more on the slate, the mower boys, the sheriff's "community service" crew
slaying peonies with shovels (why?), joggers, memorial stone visitors,
dog-walkers walking past the "no dogs" sign, the permanent staff zooming around
setting up marker arrows to direct memorial attendees, 70+ chipping sparrows
eating purslane seeds, one head-on-a-swivel mule deer fawn, and one female
darner dragonfly in denial about cold weather that surely must be approaching.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins