Found a goldfinch nest with at least three nestlings on Ft. Carson yesterday
nor far from the Wildlife Office in El Paso County. It was 42 when I arrived
this morning, so they are hardy little birds! Kara Carragher and I did a
stakeout today to verify species and were rewarded with an adult western
male Lesser arriving at the juniper and feeding the young. The nest is about
head high and well woven onto the green branch. Saw a bunch of American
Goldfinches later on so both species still present there. Will submit that
nest record for the Breeding Bird Atlas for the late date.

Also saw Chipping Sparrows and White-crowneds not far from a drying pond,
which was encircled by mound-building crawdads staking territory.

Back at the homestead in Pueblo, we've lost the Broad-tailed hummingbird
that was frequenting our yard this week. No sign of her today. The
Black-chinneds left last weekend. FOS Pygmy Nuthatches were making a stir in
a tall ponderosa pine in our neighbor's yard yesterday. Turkey Vulture
migration is still heavy. Must be 40-50 jostling for positions in the tall
trees here in Aberdeen at dusk.

Rick Clawges
Ft. Carson and Pueblo