In preparation for a field trip on Nov 13, I am beginning to visit the dozens
of lakes in southeastern Larimer County, to determine which lakes are “hot” and
which are not. Today I visited Warren Lake in Fort Collins, Timnath Reservoir
in Timnath and Cobb Lake in Wellington. Comments and highlights follow:

Warren Lake – surrounded by neighborhood in southeast Fort Collins, drained for
maintenance but still some water. Mudflats hosted 6 Least Sandpipers (rare at
this location). Montane wanderers Mountain Chickadee and Golden-crowned Kinglet
(rare) were noisily calling from ornamental spruces on west side of the lake.

Timnath Reservoir – water level very low; Close to a thousand birds, with:
Lesser Black-backed Gull – 5 adults !
Black-bellied Plover – 1
Pectoral Sandpiper - 2

Cobb Lake (at dusk)– Also a thousand birds, mostly roosting Ring-billed Gulls
in the center of the lake, but also:
Sabine’s Gull – 1 juv
Common Loon – 2

Nick Komar