Today at the Lamar Community College Woods, Lamar (Prowers) it was warm and
windy, with clouds moving in.  Highlights:

Nashville Warbler (female, eastern)  eating aphids from Russian-olive leaves at
the north end e of the northern observation notebook
Northern Cardinal (male)   eating Russian-olives at the south end, basically 50
yards ese of the southern observation notebook just w of the creek
thicket/cattails (the area where you can see little pools of water underneath
the overtopping thicket, for those of you familiar with the area)
RED FOX SPARROW (1)  seen at 2 and 5pm, photographed, apparently eating
Russian-olives, same location as the cardinal  (also seen by Jane Stulp)
Orange-crowned Warbler (1)   eating Russian-olive aphids at the south end just
before you get to the first houses in the Woodland Park Subdivision
Yellow-rumped Warbler (1)  in Russian olives (same location as the cardinal and
fox sparrow)

Do you see a theme here?  All these special November birds were in
Russian-olive, either eating aphids and/or olives.  Other species seen in the
last three days utilizing this tree: Northern Flicker (olives), Dark-eyed Junco
(aphids and olives), Ruby-crowned Kinglets (aphids), Golden-crowned Kinglet
(aphids), Red-bellied Woodpecker (olives), White-crowned Sparrow (aphids, maybe
olives also), White-throated Sparrow (aphids, maybe olives also), and European
Starling (olives).  I used to always call this tree "60% bad, 40% good" in my
presentations to landowners.  I am about to flip the %s, or at least call it
50-50.  The ecological rap against Russian-olive has always been the fact it's
an exotic invasive, and that, because it has few insects, it does not harbor
the same bird diversity in riparian areas as poplars and willows.  Not sure I
can anecdotally agree with the diversity part, and the few insects it does have
(various aphids, for the most part) are highly attractive at key times of the
year (like now).  And then there is the olive pulp, which to my taster is like
weak marshmallow.  I presume most birds that eat olives are after the pulp,
except for species like Wood Duck, that apparently also gain by grinding the
pits in their crop.  I am NOT championing Russian-olive and hope this isn't a
contentious subject on COBIRDS, just suggesting that environmentalists (however
defined) and agency ecologists try to see this this as a gray, not black-white
issue.  Jason Beason of RMBO and I discussed this lately and he is right-on for
suggesting olive eradication projects contain an element of bird species
monitoring before and after the attempted removal efforts.  Over time, maybe we
would have some idea of what to expect, pro and con, short-term and long-term,
from such activities.

Total for "Lamar" 6-9November 2010: 73 species

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins