Rob Raker and I paid a visit to the Red Rocks Trading post this morning. We arrived at about 7:15 a.m. and spent the next hour watching and observing all the birds coming to the feeders. Our bonanza took place between 7:45 and 8:00 at the west side feeders. We had the Golden-crowned Sparrow and Curve-billed Thrasher in view together in the flat area adjacent to the steps below the upper apple tree. Both birds spent a great deal of time out in the open area and provided us great looks and some photo ops for Rob. The Golden- crowned appeared first down in the lower area above the rock wall and under the lower apple tree. After that the two birds came and went several times from the flat area above. The White-throated Sparrow put in a brief appearance in the thicket just behind the platform feeder. Then as we were getting ready to leave, a juvenile Red- breasted Sapsucker landed on the lower apple tree, then flew to the upper apple tree where he spent several minutes. The faint dull red on the throat and forehead were distinctly visible as well as the distinct white markings in two rows on the back. Lots of juncos, but we did not see the White-winged. All in all, a very pleasant morning at the Red Rocks Trading Post.

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County