Folks:

I'm embarking on a study of the various morphs (color phases) of wintering
red-tailed hawks in Colorado, with a particular interest in extremely dark
and extremely light forms.  It's  part of a larger study by Bill Clark
(author of raptor field guides) which seeks to determine if the Harlan's
Hawk is a subspecies of red-tail (as it's considered currently) or an
entirely separate species.  The AOU has gone back and forth on this issue
several times without a great deal of explanation one way or the other.
Bill has studied several thousand museum skins around the country, and also
living birds on the breeding grounds and during migration, but never on the
wintering grounds, which include eastern CO.

I'll be trapping birds, banding them, taking measurements and photographing
plumage, and releasing them at the point of capture.

Since this is a comparative study, I'll sample all morphs.  I certainly
won't have any trouble finding light-morph red-tails (the most common form),
but I could use help locating the dark (Harlan's and rufous) and light
(Krider's) morphs.  Any reports of these would be greatly appreciated.  For
the time being my efforts are limited to the area north of I-70 and east of
I-25, and I can't promise I will be able to respond to all sightings - but
I'll give it a try!

If you have any questions  or wish to report a bird, please email me at
olinal...@earthlink.net (preferred) or call me at  970-493-2886.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Olin

Olin Allen