Hello birders,

Tried for the Ross’s Gull at Cherry Creek Reservoir on Sunday
afternoon, gave up too early. It showed up 30 minutes after I left.
This afternoon, Tuesday, I drove to Denver from Boulder for a second
try. Nice, sunny day, 54 degrees, not much wind. About a dozen birders
were waiting near the sand spit near the dam, east of the marina.
Bill Schmoker and his dad were leaving, but Eric DeFonso was there
from Ft. Collins. Also Glenn from the Four Corners area arrived right
after me. He drove 10 hours today to see this rare gull. (Glenn said
that last week he drove to California’s Salton Sea to see a Bean
Goose. He had to get back home fast as he was “trying to stay
married.”) How rare is a Ross’s Gull? Glenn said he is a bird
biologist who spent 12 years on Alaska’s north slope studying Eiders.
He said in all those years he never saw a Ross’s Gull.

I waited about 40 minutes, determined not to leave until sunset.
Suddenly at about 3:15 pm Eric exclaimed, “We have a bird!” There all
alone in perfect light at the end of the sand spit was the Ross’s
Gull. It walked up and down the sand spit like a fashion model on a
runway, flashbulbs popping. (Note most fashion models on runways walk
pigeon-toed and the Ross’s Gull was no exception.) I think it was
blushing, as you could see a faint pink cast. Did a few pirouettes,
pecked at the sand, examined the dead Mallard, flew up a couple of
times to show off its underwings and wedge-shaped tail, then flew west
toward the marina into the setting sun. Wow, were we happy!

Glenn said this bird had faulty “GPS,” a problem he said is turning up
lately in more and more birds. Most of its brethren spend the winter
in the Sea of Okhotsk, west of the Kamchatka Peninsula, north of Japan
off Russia’s east coast. So our Denver Ross Gull is about 5,000 miles
off course, probably a one way trip to Colorado. So good luck Ross
bird, hope you live long and prosper here. Many thanks to Joe, Glenn,
and Cole for finding this beautiful gull from Siberia. Some of my pics
from today: http://twilberding.zenfolio.com/p718900898
Happy Thanksgiving!

Tom Wilberding
Boulder, Colorado