I took a few hours today touring around central Boulder County as the cold
front moved in.  First stop was at Baseline Reservoir which is now on its way
to icing up.  Present along the north side was a female/first year Black
Scoter; either a new bird or the same one which has been at Baseline off and on
for about a month, it seems.

With shrinking amounts of open water about, Valmont, my next stop, seems to be
hosting more and more waterfowl.  Of course almost all are way too far away to
really enjoy, but as James pointed out the Tundra Swan that Peter Gent reported
earlier has spent its entire weekend at this warm water resort and always right
down in the southeast corner making it not only easy to see but even identify.
I should also report that while I was at the Legion Park overlook an absolutely
stunning Ferruginous Hawk drifted back and forth right at eye level and closer
than the RR tracks.

A walk along Boulder Creek at 75th was unproductive and the Cottonwood Pond at
Walden Ponds was mostly frozen, so I headed further east.  So called Big Gaynor
near Oxford and 287 had thousands of geese around a moderately sized open hole
in the ice-the same later on at Dodd Res.  Between the two there were almost 20
Snow Geese including at least one adult Blue.  Nevertheless the white-cheeked
to snow ratio for the day was on the order of 1,000 to 1.  (Since David
Waltman's post just came in as I sit here composing, I should give the
breakdown for my Snow Geese: 9 at Dodd and 9 at Big Gaynor).

Next I tried Lagerman Reservoir which tends to stay open longer than most.  It
was almost totally open and finally I was able to find the Greater
White-fronted Goose that has been wandering about the county and avoiding me
all month.  Even better was a stunning Pacific Loon.  I ended my trek at
Boulder Reservoir where the best find was Peter Gent.

Bill Kaempfer
Boulder