To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cobirds] Solitaires, red-wings -- state-wide
From: ouze...@aol.com
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 10:49:11 -0500

 Cobirds carries lots of reports about birds that people see, but hardly any
about species that we don't see. I have queries on two:

Townsend's Solitaires: most winters, we have 2-5 on the hillside next to our
home. This year, none to one (none for the last 3 weeks). Have they picked
other sites, such as urban Denver, moved out onto the plains, gone south,
stayed in the mountains, or really declined?

Red-winged Blackbird: One of the people who reports to Denver Audubon's
Backyard Birds commented that he'd seen fewer Red-wings in his yard this year
than usual. Denver Audubon's monthly Walk the Wetlands recorded 142 in 2009; 71
in 2010. A localized phenomenon, or a widespread one?

Christmas Bird Counts will give us data about these species, but they cover
only a tiny part of our world. Any thoughts?

Hugh Kingery

Franktown, CO