I thank those on COBIRDS who alerted me to the reported Emperor's Goose
sighting by a COBIRDERS member.  At least I had the option of driving/not
driving up there to look for the reported bird.

Thank you Dixie for reporting the sighting.  Tied for  first, thank you
Joey for being honest and for "almost" saying you don't  trust the sighting
enough to drive up there tonight.

I will admit I do not personally know Dixie, nor have I ever seen  him/her
in the field.  I have chased many birds reported by him/her  but have never
found them.  I am, however, extremely grateful for  the opportunity to
decide for myself if I want to "chase" the bird  and  I appreciate any post
that
will help me to make that  decision.

Everyone should have the opportunity to decide for themselves if they
do/don't "trust" a reported sighting enough to check it out for  themselves.  I
have never met/birded with Dixie so I am not able to say  anything about
his/her birding skills.  I have been fortunate to bird with  (and learn a great
deal from) Joey and I trust his birding skills and  judgment.  Hence, my
personal decision is similar to Joey's and I  will wait for more information
before I drive up looking for the reported  Emperor's Goose.

Trust is something that must be earned in the birding world.  I don't
purport to be someone everyone should trust -- as I am still new to birding and

not skilled enough to make some critical ID's.  If I thought I saw an
Emperor's Goose - I, too, would report it to COBIRDS.  However, I  would likely
add the word possible or probable depending on whatever details I  observed.
 I would also simultaneously be e-mailing and/or phoning  others to come
help with the ID and would do my best to get someone with  photographic
skills/equipment there ASAP to document my sighting.  Can't  say whether Dixie
was
similarly minded - as no details were given.

Allison  Hilf
Denver, CO
_ah...@aol.com_ (mailto:ah...@aol.com)