Some friends of mine in Divide have reported their Rosy-Finches are back.
They are most regularly present from 7:30am - 9:00am. And then tend to leave
for the day. However, the flock of about 500 came back from 11:00am-Noon
yesterday. The map below shows the location of the yard with the feeders and
the birds. The best viewing is on the sub-division dirt road to the west of
the yard as marked on the map. The birds are jittery and will fly if you get
out of the car - so please stay in the car. The owners have given permission
to view the birds from the road.

http://goo.gl/maps/RU77 - Map/Location

Most of them are certainly gray-crowned rosy-finches; with both gray-cheeked
and brown-cheeked races of this species. And, after looking for an hour, I
did find one black rosy-finch. How one separates the individuals that are
not bona-fide adult males however is a struggle for me. I have reviewed much
literature and about 40% of the individuals I cannot assign to a race as
there seem to be every gradation possible between gray-crowned and
brown-capped species (and possibly no picture-perfect brown-capped).

I took several pictures - and, while not ready for the cover of any
magazine, should work for diagnostic purposes hopefully. I was taking the
pictures from inside the house through a picture window with sun on it. I
have labeled each picture with what I think each is and would appreciate
feedback on which I may have gotten wrong. Especially if there is a
brown-capped in the bunch.

http://www.sendpix.com/albums/10122721/212442000000003cd9a3ae575c32fd518e6a6
933b771b2/?p=1

Jeff J Jones

( <mailto:jjo...@jonestc.com> jjo...@jonestc.com)

Teller County - 8500' - Montane Woodlands