Hello, Birders.

Bob Canter, Ed Furlong, Dick Pratt, Dick Schottler and I had a nice time
yesterday, Saturday, Jan. 1st, on the Denver-Urban Christmas Bird Count. A
highlight was an adult male Brewer's Duck in the Platte River at the I-76
bridge. (Brewer's Duck is the stereotyped hybrid of a Mallard x Gadwall
pairing.) Also in the immediate vicinity was a Greater White-fronted Goose. A
bit upstream: a hen Wood Duck. Duck numbers were generally obscene, e.g.,
nearly 2,500 Northern Shovelers, 50+ Hooded Mergansers. Raptors were plentiful,
with highlights being the bluest Merlin I have ever seen, a lovely Prairie
Falcon, and a large falcon spuh that was probably a Peregrine Falcon. We heard
and saw American Pipits continually; I'd say the American Pipit was the most
conspicuous passerine out there. Also 3 Myrtle Warblers and 20 Killdeer. Of
interest was a steady trickle of southbound Cackling Geese in the early
going--close to 250 of them. I think these were birds continuing on their
"fall" migration with the recent freeze-out.

A brilliant, beautiful day to be out birding!

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Blog: http://tinyurl.com/2g2staq

Twitter: http://tinyurl.com/2ejzlzv