From: Dave Leatherman
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 1:32 PM
To: COBIRDS
Subject: Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at Grandview Cemetery, Fort Collins (Larimer)
on 26Jan2011

Late this morning I heard (pecking) and then saw a very drab juvenile (female?)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in Grandview Cemetery (at the west terminus of
Mountain Avenue in Fort Collins (Larimer)).   Not having seen any sapsuckers in
the cemetery since seeing two with a group of Greeley birders during autumn
migration on 30October, I had pretty much concluded none were in the cemetery
area this winter.   I've known about old sap wells on the tree today's bird was
in but never actually observed a sapsucker in it.

If you come west on Mountain Avenue past the cemetery office and in the main
entrance, go across the ditch bridge, make an immediate right (heading north)
and parallel the ditch for a hundred yards or so until reaching a 90-degree
curve in the extreme northeast corner of Section A.  Between the road curve and
the ditch is a big, double-stemmed Scots Pine (the only true pine in the
immediate area).  The bird was difficult to observe near the upper part (within
ten feet of the top of the tree) of the main (thicker) trunk.

Also in the cemetery today were two Golden-crowned Kinglets, at least one
solitaire, 6 flyover American Wigeon, Red-breasted and White-breasted
Nuthatches, and both chickadees.  The Great Horned Owl  female in not on the
elm crotch nest (yet).

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins