I feel so badly for folks who drive hours to get to my yard, and many
do, to see Rosy-Finches.  Often they wait for a lovely day for a drive
and usually arrive after lunch.  Unfortunately, that is the absolutely
worst time to try here for the Rosies.

Rosy-Finches love the high-country.  Only when weather is bad or snow
too deep to find food up high, do they come down to La Veta's 7100'
altitude.  And then they come by the hundreds...so far as many as 600
at a time; especially in the morning.

We are in the middle of a beautiful, very cold day...and so they are
here.  They amaze me with how unafraid they are; of either me or my
dog.  Some will whorl up at fast movements, others will stay as I walk
two feet away.  Many will stay as I toss seed at my feet, or fly up
and right back to feed.  It's absolutely amazing.

Also here, of course, are 5-6 dozen Evening Grosbeaks, 9-10 Cassin's
Finch, other finches, some sparrows (White-crowned, White-throated,
Song and an American Tree Sparrow have been coming and going for a few
weeks).  Both chickadees, only one brand of nuthatch so far (haven't
seen the Red-breasted yet), woodpeckers, doves (including a White-
winged or two), jays, magpies, crows, ravens and of course the
occasional bird of prey that scatters everything!

I'll try for better shots, this is a quick one I got outside my back
door:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_iEeHOzrGZxI/TUgdBMPd3sI/AAAAAAAADkI/LAOAXBRDuSY/s1600/Rosies-close.jpg

E-mail me if you'd like to visit...but I wouldn't wait for a nice
day!  Or you can watch what goes on on my blog, below my town.

Beverly Jensen
La Veta, Huerfano County
RuralChatter.blogspot.com