The report of the Harris's Hawk reportedly photographed "at close range"
yesterday at Red Rocks is interesting. I am trying to get more information.
In my limited experience, Colorado Harris's Hawks do not allow close
approach, so
I wonder if the bird could have escaped from a falconer? I understand
that they are commonly kept by falconers.
Anyone who sees this hawk at Red Rocks should try to get a photo,
determine if the bird seems wild and wary and look for signs of captivity -
jesses or wingtip wear from being caged. There are only a handful of valid
records
of that bird in Colorado, and that hand may not have all five fingers.
Joe Roller,
Denver