Here's another hybrid duck for you hybridizers to explain. I saw it on 20-Mile
Pond in Parker yesterday (March 3). I guess I'd describe it as a Scaup with a
Bufflehead's face patch -- below the eye, face a bit like a Tree Swallow. Black
back, white sides. Scaup size. Consorted with courting goldeneyes. My
photographic equipment probably will not produce a recognizable picture, at
least if it stays, and if it stays on the far side of the reservoir.

The Barrow's Goldeneye pair persists at 20-Mile along with those courting male
Common Goldeneyes, and a few disinterested female Commons. Yesterday a lot of
Redheads and some Common Mergansers. One Bufflehead.

Somebody posted his delight at seeing American Golfinches in town for the first
time this year. We have had them at our feeders in Franktown all winter, but on
the same day that this post came in, our count ballooned to 28. More? Moving?

20-Mile Pond: from the main intersection in Parker (Colo. 83 & Mainstreet) go
west on Mainstreet about a half mile, left at the traffic light for 20-mile
Road (just before Cherry Creek) and turn right into the huge parking lot. The
pond has opened up entirely, so feel free to walk around the pond on the road
to get better views. It has better light in the morning; in the afternoon the
sun shines towards the parking lot.

Hugh Kingery
Franktown, CO