At 7:25 AM today I went over to 4700 Holly Street in Denver, which is
located just north
of I-70 to look for the possible Yellow-eyed Junco reported on Cobirds on
3/9. (At this unlikely site
in an area of light manufacturing and distributing an Ovenbird cowered under
some junipers
and was seen by many observers a few years ago).

I parked on the NW side of the building, looked at the birds on and below a
feeder inside
a chained link fence and DID NOT see a Yellow-eyed Junco. I did get as much
information as I could from
Cookie Spatafora, who works in the building and has 2 feeders near her
office window.

She is a self-described "feeder watcher" and is familiar with Dark-eyed
Juncos, American Goldfinches,
House Finches and other birds that come to her feeder. At her home she feeds
Rufous-sided Towhees,
and although she is familiar with those birds, she is on the cusp of going
farther afield to learn
more about other birds.
On Monday, March 7, 2011, at 10 AM the sky was overcast, with light snow.
Although the Dark-eyed Juncos
usually feed on the ground below the feeder, out of sight from her window,
on Mondays the
bird seed is still contained in the feeder, as the ground has been grazed
clear of food over the weekend. At those times hungry Dark-eyed
Juncos will come up to the feeder tray, whereas they usually are on the
ground, below her line of vision.

That day she observed a bird with the size and shape of a Junco, at a
distance of 5 feet from her eyes, out the window on the feeder. It visited
the feeder repeatedly
*over a 45 minute period*, feeding in plain view for several minutes at a
time. She noticed it because it's eyes
were yellow, and she is "100% positive that the bird had yellow eyes." Other
than that she did not
notice much. "The head was dark and the underparts were lighter than the
upper-parts of  the bird."
She did not notice the back color, bill or leg color. NOTE that her window
is tinted light gray, which seems
to keep the birds at the feeder from flushing from movement inside the
office. The feeder is in perpetual
shade, being on the boreal aspect of the building. When American Goldfinches
turn brighter yellow in
the spring, it is easy to see their color, so the window is not totally
opaque and views seemed adequate
when I visited her office this morning.
Cookie "did not think too much of the bird" at the time, but mentioned it to
her colleague , Bob Santangelo,
who is a keen and experienced birder. Together they the reviewed 4 or 5
field guides he showed her, and
she thought that her bird matched the drawings of a Yellow-eyed Junco.
Subsequently no juncos visited
the feeder itself, and again the ground was out of sight.
I looked at the feeder birds from 7:25 til 8:10 AM, went to a meeting, then
watched again from 9:50 til 11:10 AM.
No luck.
 Four Dark-eyed Juncos of the Oregon type and Slate-colored type fed on the
ground this morning.
I called Dick Schottler with this information and he posted it on Cobirds,
so  birders could make up
their own minds as to whether the possible extreme rarity was worth chasing
or not. I heard that one
unknown birder checked the site yesterday, but saw nothing of note.

Cookie and Bob are looking at the feeder and the ground below it as often as
they can, but they are at
work. You will recall that "Work is the curse of the birding class."
Bob has a good camera and is poised to capture images should the bird with
the yellow eyes return.
If I hear about it or see it when I go back there today or tomorrow, I will
post Cobirds and call folks
at once.
As you know, Yellow-eyed Juncos are very loyal to their breeding grounds in
southern Arizona and according
to Sibley's guide, there is only one record from a near-by state, that being
one seen in the Big Bend region
of Texas.
When I excitedly told my wife this whole, long story she exclaimed, "All
that and you didn't see the bird?"
Alas.

Joe Roller, Denver
These facts are all factual, and in contrast to my usual methods, I have not
made any of these facts up.