From: cobirds@googlegroups.com [mailto:cobirds@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Joe Roller
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 2:13 PM
To: cobirds@googlegroups.com
Cc: jroller...@gmail.com; Tom Roller; Merrilyn Parham
Subject: [cobirds] Jumbo fee to enter Prewitt and Jumbo Reservoirs in
Northeast Colorado!

In today's Denver Post, in the Outdoors section of the Sports pages, I
noticed this distressing bit of breaking news:

"Beginning April 1, adults (yes they will card you and you can't pass for 17
years old
any more) who does not possess a valid annual hunting for fishing license
must
purchase a $36 permit (like the old Habitat Stamp, I guess) to enter Jumbo
Reservoir
or Prewitt Reservoir State Wildlife Areas in northeastern Colorado.
The annual permits are available from hunting or fishing license vendors."

Wow, talk about sticker shock! Please note that this is not per vehicle,
this is
per adult human.
Now even if you say to yourself, "I don't go up there very much
anyway," consider your situation if a mega-rarity turns up at one of those
places. You get the
word about the Wood Stork pecking at a Groove-billed Ani at Jumbo or the
Anhinga
pestering the Wilson's Plover at Prewitt! You jump in a car
with your buddies and dash off to ............ where?

Why to Big Jim's Sushi, Bait and Tackle Shop to buy the permit you have been
putting off
buying all summer! Now Big Jim's is a fun place to visit when you are hungry
and not in a hurry.
Remember their slogan, "Today's Plate is Tomorrow's Bait!"  But look,
there's a line to get in the door. You wait while
the skilled chef rolls up some maki, and it looks so good that you think
about ordering
some sashimi or a Dragon Roll, then you remember why you came. You get your
"Jumbo Permit"
and flee in disgust as you see yesterday's nuri being skewered on treble
hooks.

By the time to pull up to the shore of the reservoir, birders with big grins
are leaving, having studied
and photographed the Yellow Rail before watching it fly off weakly into the
sunset.

Dang it! Dipped again!

As I mentioned, the permits are $36.
A mega-rarity - priceless.

Please note that everything in the first paragraph is true.
I don't make everything up.

Joe Roller, Denver