Hi all,

I did some birding today from 630am to 2pm or so around Pueblo.

I started early by checking Sailboard launching area at Pueblo Reservoir to see
if I could see the Common Loon, that I saw there yesterday, I didn't see it.

While driving down the hill from the dam at Pueblo Reservoir around 645am, the
first tree on the right, there was a big blob in the tree.  It turned out to be
a Bobcat in the tree.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonsbirdphotos/5604170960/

Since I had plenty of time, before meeting up with Aiken Audubon group at Valco
Ponds parking lot, I went over to Pueblo City Park.  I walked around there for
45 minutes or so.  The highlights were the Pygmy Nuthatches and Mountain
Chickadees that have been there all winter.  Other than that, it was pretty
quiet.

I then got to Valco Ponds parking lot, a bit early, just before 8am, and there
was one car load of birders already there.  Since the trip wasn't meeting until
830am, four of us decided to  walk west of the parking lot at Valco Ponds just
a short ways and we saw the pair of Black Phoebes, and quick look at a flyby
White-winged Dove.

When everyone else showed up at 830am, we walked east of Valco Ponds parking
lot and checked all three ponds.  We saw a Snowy Egret, two White-throated
Swifts, many swallows (Tree, Barn, Cliff, and Bank), two Yellow-headed
Blackbirds, a Lincoln's Sparrow, several Turkey Vultures, a female Common
Merganser, and other birds.

Then we walked west of Valco Ponds parking lot to the Fish Hatchery Ponds and
back.  We saw the Black Phoebes again and a Say's Phoebe, more swallows (same
species as above), an Osprey, and at the ponds, two Cinnamon Teal and a female
Hooded Merganser were the highlights.

We then drove over to the Osprey Picnic Area in Rock Canyon.  We finally we
able to see a Bewick's Wren, we had heard a few before this, though they were
being difficult.  We also saw a few Myrtle Warblers.  Just before lunch, we
were able to look at some all green tiger beetles, which have been around for a
few weeks at this location.

After lunch, the wind gusts were getting bad.  We quickly saw a couple of fuzzy
Great Horned Owl babies in Rock Canyon, and then headed to Sailboard launching
area for a minute.  The waves were coming over the paved parking lot there.
So, we didn't stay, since there was no way we could pick out a loon or anything
else there.

Then we headed west, and saw a couple Burrowing Owls near the north west
entrance station at Pueblo Reservoir.  Then we went over to the State Wildlife
Area, and saw two Greater and one Lesser Yellowlegs, and a pair of American
Green-winged Teal.  No sign of the Common Teal from a couple of days ago.

We then went to Pueblo West.  We saw a Scaled Quail in my yard, though couldn't
find a Curve-billed Thrasher in howling winds.  We ended with a quick check of
Cattail Crossing in Pueblo West, and saw Great-tailed Grackles and a female
Canvasback.

All and all, it was a good trip, the wind wasn't that bad before lunch.  I saw
around 70 species of birds today, and a Bobcat in a tree, so it was a good day.

Good birding,

Brandon Percival

Pueblo West, CO