When I arrived at the marina at 1000, no cormorants were there. One could be seen way out in the water. After nearly half an hour, 5 appeared sitting on the log just past the end of the marina; one was the neotropic. When spreading its wings, it looks like a miniature double-c. More cormorants arrived, and two of us progressed out the dock. Unfortunately, a non-birding (but nice person) photographer was at the end, and the cormorants were spooked before we were halfway out...some (of the total of about 9 by now) headed towards the rock wall to the north, some straight out just past the long line of pelicans and gulls, and some over toward the fishing pier. After some scope searching, we noted the neotropic swimming with three d-cs just past the pelican line. I left to bird for 45 minutes or so, but rechecked the marina The neo was there with four d-cs 1215-1230. One lesser bb gull was on the pelican spit/bar. There were less Franklin's gulls than yesterday. Horned grebe numbers are way down compared with a week ago. But western type grebes are numerous in the center of the lake. A few red-br mergansers, mostly in pairs,are present. Land birding was limited due to the wind, but western meadowlarks were singing everywhere. Yesterday afternoon 4/9 I had one greater yellowlegs at the Cottonwood pond near Belleview/Peoria.
Karl Stecher
Centennial