Ira Sanders, John Drummond and I arrived at the Devil's
Kitchen Trail at the Colorado National Monument yesterday, 4/13,
just after 8 AM. Within 20 minutes a male Black-chinned Sparrow
perched facing us in full sun at the top of a nearby juniper tree and sang
about every
8-10 seconds for at least ten minutes. It then flew to
other nearby tree-top perches and gave us views of the back. Seldom did
it disappear into the middle of a shrub and stay silent. At one point
it was fussing around in a dead juniper shrub, pecking at branches,
and then John observed it carrying nesting material in its beak for a few
seconds, I believe, not to another site. This behavior is "NB, nest
building, confirmed
breeding" according to Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas II criteria. It is lower
on the scale than other aspects of confirmed breeding behavior like "ON,
occupied
nest" or "CF, carrying food". Mesa is the second county with confirmed
breeding by
Black-chinned Sparrows for Colorado, the other being in 2010 from Southwest
Colorado
(Montezuma County as I recall). All of this is pending confirmation by the
Colorado
Bird Records Committee of the CFO.
As we were leaving the overly scenic Monument we saw a distant Gambel's
Quail near some homes.
At the Brewster Ridge site near the Utah State line we saw Sage Sparrows,
Sage Thrashers and an
Osprey overhead, among other species, like a Townsend's Solitaire. Burrowing
Owls were along a nearby road.
 It seemed to be  too early in the year for Scott's Orioles and Gray Vireos.
The BCSP was easy to photograph from the approved trails, so there was no
need
to breech etiquette by charging after it through the shrubs. While we were
watching this
great bird, we got the word that Cole Wild had heard a second singing male
from the
Devil's Kitchen Trailhead parking lot.
Joe Roller, Denver