Greetings All,

I promise to end my fixation with Weld County gulls.

Actually, that was not at all how the day started, as Christian Nunes and I
began at Crow Valley Campground. There was little in the way of migrant action,
but a TAIGA (aka, eastern/northern) HERMIT THRUSH was apparently a good find.
This bird is much browner backed than the usual CO Hermit Thrushes, which are
of the Interior Mountain group (larger, gray-backed, gray flanks). It also had
some buffy wash on the flanks. Its call, still roughly translated as "chuck"
was less Varied Thrush-like than I am used to from Pacific Coast and Western
Interior birds. Not sure if that has meaning, or if just this individual called
oddly.

Also at Crow Valley, we had our first HOUSE WREN of the spring, about on time,
as I can gather, and some lingering juncos including an Oregon and a Cassiar's.

At Murphy's Pasture in the Pawnee, we had 9 CC Longspurs and 3 McCown's. On a
side road we had an apparent migrant Rock Wren.

Later in the day, at Loloff Lake in Weld, we had a SOLITARY SANDPIPER, along
with 2 Semi Sands and 5 Leasts.

Chris and I spent the end of our day together at Windsor Lake, where we refound
Cole Wild's 1st year BL KITTIWAKE. It was sitting on the water in a rather
desultory fashion, as a number of Franklin's and Bonaparte's Gulls swept about
feeding.

I dropped Chris off, and as clouds had rolled in, went to Black Hollow Res,
finding one 1st year LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULL, one 3rd year GLAUCOUS GULL, and
2 THAYER'S GULLS (one first and one second year).

I went back to Windsor Res, and there were even more birds there. Some nice
tallies include
70 RB Mergs
300 Common Mergs
100 DC Cormorants
100 Franklin's Gulls
30 or so Bonaparte's Gulls
The kittiwake was still floating about, ignoring the incredibly active feeding
action. After a bit, it rose up, flopping somewhat awkwardly, gathered some
height, and drifted off to the west, to same direction that a number of
cormorants were heading. I am not sure that it left... it may have been heading
off to an evening roost.

Best Wishes
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont, CO