Another great visit to Grandview Cemetery (Fort Collins, Larimer County, Easter
Sunday, 7:30am to 2:30pm).  Highlights included:

Wood Duck (two pairs present, flying around, perching in tall trees, only my
second time ever at Grandview, both times in late April)

Adult hackberry psyllid activity noted for the first time this year.  I
suspected as much when the few Yellow-rumped Warblers present, and at least one
of the Ruby-crowned Kinglets, lingered in various hackberries, sallying, and
hover-gleaning in response to flushing the overwintering adults now moving to
the swelling hackberry buds to lay eggs.   Later I found a few adult psyllids
on my jacket, in my car, etc.  Hackberries would be good to check for migrating
passerines throughout CO at this time.  Is there a hackberry at the scene of
the vireo and good warblers of late in Boulder?  Somebody needs to figure out
the secret to that hotspot.

Townsend's Solitaire (at least 3, an indication the mass-movement from the
lowlands to the foothills is continuing)

Lesser Goldfinch (adult male, green-backed form) - spotted near the entrance by
Betsy Higgins, from Massachusetts and a member of the famous grouse trip that
recently spotted the Prothonotary Warbler at Holly.

Ruby-crowned Kinglet (at least two, lots of singing, perhaps a pair will breed
at the cemetery, as is the case about every-other year)

Dark-eyed Junco (several, including a few Oregon and one Gray-headed, some
singing)

Broad-winged Hawk (FOY for me, one adult, light-morph flew low thru the
cemetery about 11am, and kept on going north, I think)

Cooper's Hawk (1f terrorized the starlings at least twice this morning, but no
predation that I could detect)

Great Horned Owl (these birds continue to mesmerize an ever-increasing
collection of adoring fans with big cameras and minimal ethics (to be fair,
most, but not all) - today we had multi-hour sittings with flash, loud talking,
door slamming, half-hour cell phone calls right below the nest crotch 20 feet
overhead, talking (as best I could tell from afar it was baby talk, since the
nestlings are, after all, babies), waving to the birds, parking so close to the
tree that one rear tire was raised a bit by the elm's root flair, you name it).
 This happens every year and the owls keep using the site, so I guess their
limit is higher than mine.

White Pelican (flock of about 30 off to the west flying along the foothills)

Chipping Sparrow (flock of 30+, mostly bathing in the ditch)

Lincoln's Sparrow (1 in the muddy ditch, at the base of lilacs, etc.)

Total of 36 species (highest total of the year and only one shy of my highest
total ever for Grandview).

This spring's crop (2 or 3) of Red Fox pups appeared above the front door to
their below-ground culvert home for perhaps their first time today.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins