This weekend was a great one for birding in Huerfano County and the San Luis
Valley...Saturday April 30th, with the snowstorm due to hit Sunday, we
decided to head out to the San Luis Valley. Armed with John J. Rowinski's
Birding Hotspots of South-central Colorado...this was meant to be a
"scouting trip" as some the areas are closed this time  of year...we still
wanted to check out the routes and familiarize ourselves with how to get to
Blanca Wetlands for future reference. We visited San Luis Lake State Park,
Home Lake, and Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge.

Before we left La Veta we duly checked out our backyard feeders and recorded
the following:
HARRIS'S SPARROW made a quick visit and has not been seen since
PINYON JAYS (12-15)
Song Sparrow
Spotted Towhees
Hairy Woodpeckers
Downy Woodpeckers
American Goldfinches (in the process of molting)
Pine Siskins (over 100)
Dark-eyed Juncos (these have really cleared out lately, just a few remain)
Cassin's Finch (one lone female)
White-breasted Nuthatch
Blue Jays (we have started calling them "the gang of 6")
Mourning Doves
Eurasian Collared Doves
60+ Red-winged Blackbirds
Common Grackles
Brown-headed Cowbirds
American Robin
Evening Grosbeaks
Black-capped chickadees
Black-billed Magpie
American Robin

Next we headed to Daigre Lakes just west of us:
Violet-Green Swallows
N. Rough-winged Swallows
Turkey Vultures (so nice to see the flying, and not trussed up in the tree
next to Dr. Patrick Sternberg's office)
1 Great Egret
2 Snowy Egrets
1 Great Blue Heron
8 White-Faced Ibis

Then it was off to a stock pond out of town a ways:
Cinnamon Teal
Mallard
Greater Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpiper
Gadwalls

Finally we headed off to the San Luis Valley...we did not leave La Veta
until around 9:00 a.m. On the way to Blanca Wetlands, trying not to repeat
those species we had seen earlier:
Loggerhead Shrikes (5 of these for the day)
Golden Eagle
Red-tailed Hawk
Sage Thrashers were abundant everywhere
Western Meadowlarks
Barn Swallows
Swainson's Hawks
American Kestrals (all over)
European Starlings
Common Raven
Rock Doves

Next it was off to one of our favorite places in the San Luis Valley - San
Luis Lake State Park
On our way at a stock tank & puddle we came across:
Rock Doves
House Sparrows
Willets
20+ MARBLED GODWITS flew in while we were there
1 lone WHIMBREL

At the San Luis Lakes State Park:
Say's Phoebes
Dozens of American Avocets
American White Pelicans
2 Black-necked Stilts
Green-winged Teals
Northern Shovelers
over 100 Wilson's Phalaropes
BONAPARTE'S GULL
FRANLKIN'S GULL
FORSTER'S TERN
Ring-billed Gulls
PRAIRIE FALCON (harassing the waterfowl)
Eared Grebes
Least Sandpipers
1 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER
15 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS
Dozens of White-faced Ibis (tried very hard to make at least one into
Glossy...but they all insisted on being White-faced!)
Chipping Sparrows were abundant
2 Buffleheads
Lesser Scaups were abundant
RED-NECKED PHALAROPE (1 lone male, our LIFER for the day!)
PECTORAL SANDPIPER
50+ MARBLED GODWITS
lots of WILLETS
large rafts of Ruddy Ducks
Least Sandpipers
20+ LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS

Next we meandered over to Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge, by way of
Home Lake:
Male and female Northern Harriers
American Crow
American Coots
Canada Geese
Ruddy Ducks
American White-pelicans in (very close and great photo op)
Eared grebes were abundant
Western Grebes
Clark's Grebes
Hermit Thrushes

Monte Vista National Wildlife Refuge brought many repeats and many new
species for the day:
Common Mergansers
Ruddy Ducks
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Great Blue Heron
BLACK-CROWNED NIGHT-HERONS
Yellow-rumped Warblers
Clark's Grebes
Western Grebes
Ruddy Ducks everywhere
Canvasbacks
Ring-necked Duck
2 Northern Pintails
Double-crested Cormorants
Hundreds of Yellow-headed Blackbirds
Redheads
Marsh Wrens were everywhere and 1 finally made the briefest of appearances
Rock Wren was very bold
Brewer's Blackbirds were abundant
White-Crowned Sparrows
SAGE SPARROW (only one...but great looks)
Vesper Sparrow
Killdeer
Green-tailed Towhee (first of the season)
Yellow Warbler (first of the season)
House Wren
Sharp-shinned Hawk
GREATER SCAUP (one pair)
Lesser Scaup
Song Sparrow
California Gull
Horned Larks
White-crowned Sparrow
We stayed at the refuge until deep dusk hoping for owls...but it was not to
be

Sunday May 1st, in the midst of a late Spring Snow we headed to Lathrop
State Park where we added:
5 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS
1 WESTERN SANDPIPER
American Pipits
NORTHERN PARULA (1 mixed in with a large flock of Yellow-rumped Warblers)
Our first of the season for Huerfano County Yellow Warbler
Mountain Bluebirds
Western Bluebirds
Belted Kingfisher
Hermit Thrushes were abundant
American Robins (100s)
Blue-winged Teals
more Wilson's Phalaropes
All the rest were repeats of what we saw in the San Luis Valley

When we arrive home there were 2 Green-tailed Towhees at our feeders (yard
bird 119!)

Sorry this went on for so long and was so late...but just wanted to let
everyone know that things are hopping here in far Southern Colorado!

Polly Wren and Paul Neldner
La Veta
Huerfano County