Hello, Birders.

Andrew and I crossed the tracks, so to speak, this morning and poked around
various Weld County spots. Here's what we came up with:

Pawnee National Grassland at dawn. Beautiful. First we saw 3 BURROWING OWLS
west of CR-61 at 40.655346 N, 104.487534 W. Next up was a dandy MOUNTAIN PLOVER
south of CR-96 at 40.682363 N, 104.445541 W. Working our way east along CR-96,
we saw McCOWN'S LONGSPURS pretty much constantly for the next 3 miles. We had a
couple of "probables," and then the real deal on a handsome CHESTNUT-COLLARED
LONGSPUR along CR-96 at 40.683437 N, 104.366298 W. LARK BUNTINGS were pretty
much everywhere, and we had a low-flying PRAIRIE FALCON at one point. Something
else: Ever ambitious, Andrew took it upon himself to count all the cacti along
CR-96. He tells me he stopped at 99 million.

Crow Valley Campground. We bumped into Bob Righter, who put us onto a nice
LONG-EARED OWL roosting in a juniper. Passerinewise, there seemed to be a fair
bit of movement through the campground, but nothing of real note. We found 2
DUSKY FLYCATCHERS, 2 BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHERS, 1 RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, 1 HERMIT
THRUSH, 5 ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS, 7 MYRTLE WARBLERS, a goodly 5 GREEN-TAILED
TOWHEES, 4 LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, ~20 WHITE-CROWNED SPARROWS (gambelii to oriantha
ratio was about 3 to 1), and 2 PINE SISKINS. Breeders included 3 WESTERN
KINGBIRDS, 3 LOGGERHEAD SHRIKES, 2 HOUSE WRENS, 2 NORTHERN MOCKINGBIRDS, and a
nice count of 9 BROWN THRASHERS.

Black Hollow Reservoir. We scoped from the southern part of the bulge in CR-19,
at 40.608381 N, 104.888234 W. Here we saw a decent variety of shorebirds,
highlighted by 8 WHIMBRELS. Also present were 1 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER, 2 MARBLED
GODWITS, 7 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS, some BAIRD'S SANDPIPERS amid otherwise
unidentified peeps, and a smattering of yellowlegs. Plus WOOD DUCK,
GREAT-TAILED GRACKLE, and others. Neat place, and quite birdy. Wish there were
better access.

Next we drove right past Windsor Reservoir without stopping, oblivious to what
Steve Mlodinow had reported there earlier. One of these days, I'll invest in
one of those COBirds brain implants that some birders are now equipped with...

Union Reservoir. On noting the very high water, nasty heat waves, and many
boats, we just bailed. On the way out, though, we paused to glance at the tiny
pond north of CR-28. There we saw a dopey-looking WHIMBREL standing at
40.194155 N, 105.050476 W. So close, so teasingly close, to blessed Boulder
County. (Seriously, Boulderites might do well to look for Whimbrels, the next
24 hours, at such places as McIntosh Lake or Ish Reservoir.) Also here were
several MARSH WRENS and GREAT-TAILED GRACKLES.

Ted Floyd
Editor, Birding

Blog: http://tinyurl.com/4n6qswt

Twitter: http://tinyurl.com/2ejzlzv