Greetings All

Kudos to Ted for taking this topic into a broader realm.
Our guess on any single bird's origin, no matter how well-educated, is not
nearly as important as documenting the bird's occurrence.
It is my strong belief that BRCs should review these birds, and judge the ID
(in this case obvious). Then, the sighting can be relegated to the "origin
unknown" category if so be it.

Why?

Because every now and again, a bird like this RC Sparrow is the beginning of a
trend. But you don't know if its the first.... or if the other sightings were
automatically thrown into the "escapee" bin, not published, and nearly
impossible to find by those wishing to review it in the future.

I think every Barnacle Goose should be published for instance, even if known to
be an escapee.
Why?

Because such establishes a background noise level for which to compare
sightings in the East.
Additionally, the PF Geese (two birds together), were not accepted based on
origin by the Washington BRC. However, they were put in NAB and reviewed by the
BRC. This species is quite rare in captivity, but there are also no valid
(correctly ID'd) records (that we were able to find) w. of eastern PA. If one
takes the migration route of PF Goose, reverses it 180 degrees, go the same
distance... and you find the birds in central Alberta. Now, if all habitat
freezes and is snow-covered, then the birds will be forced to push on... and if
they did in the same direction.. they would have arrived at the central WA
coast, just where they were found.

Do I think these birds were "more likely than not" of wild origins (or
provenance, if you wish)... no. But I feel the possibility of natural
occurrence is significant. The fact that many/most serious
status-and-distribution type birders know of it means that further records will
be viewed in the context of the WA record.

Additionally, even birds like Red Bishops deserve to be noted. You never know
when they will form the next introduced population.

Best Wishes
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO