Greetings All

Tony did a bang-up job in discussing vagrancy potential, especially
mega-vagrants.

Pink-footed Goose, for instance... though thousands of miles out of range in
WA, PF Goose is a species that is a long distance migrant, and might well find
good forage in mid fall in central Alberta along the way to WA. And remember,
it is thought that a fair number of vagrants go precisely (or nearly so) 180
degrees the wrong way, due to genetic errors, or acquired navigational issues.
And that is the direction, if those geese in WA were wild, they would've taken.
They are a good example of an occurrence that is nearly impossible to
confidently say "Yea" or "Neigh" re: origins.

A different example is set by Emperor Goose: a few heady Emperor Geese are
known to cast themselves southward along the Pacific Coast annually, and their
occurrence (by and large) fits a neat pattern consistent with a natural pattern
of occurrence.

The long-ago record of Baikal Teal in CO sets forth a conundrum similar to that
with the PF Geese. AT THE TIME, Baikal Teal were in a tremendous population
decline, records in AK had essentially gone to zero, and the species is popular
in collections. My personal bias is that I would not consider that bird of
natural origin. But it might have been. And for those agitated by listing, it
is your list, count what you feel good about. The duties of BRCs do not
delineate what an individual puts on one's personal list. A Baikal Teal
occurring now would be viewed differently. The number of records in AK have
exploded concurrently with the population explosion in Asia, and so has the
number of vagrant Baikals on the Pac Coast from WA to CA. Context is ever so
important in making the best possible decision (while recognizing that such
decisions could still be erroneous).

However, the birds mentioned in the statement below are quite different. The
relationship between their occurrence and that of the Rufous-collared Sparrow
is naught:

Reddish Egret at DeWeese, Sooty Tern in Pueblo, Little Gull
in Gunnison, Ross' Gull in Aurora, Streak-backed Oriole in Loveland,
Eurasian Wigeon in Fort Collins, and all sorts of things that made no
sense.

To include Reddish Egret, Little Gull, Ross's Gull, and Eurasian Wigeon in a
list of vagrants that have occurred in Colorado "but make no sense" is highly
erroneous. The latter three species have a long-established pattern of
occurring willy-nilly across the continent (in addition to concentrations in
certain regions, such as Euro Wig in the Pacific NW and Little Gull on east
coast/Great Lakes). Reddish Egret is a well known wanderer north of its normal
range in spring, and especially in late summer/early fall. I would be rather
surprised if Reddish Egret, Little Gull, or Euro Wig had NOT shown up in
Colorado at some point. I would also be modestly surprised if Ross's Gull had
not. The Sooty Tern occurrence, as shocking as it is superficially, was related
to a hurricane/tropical storm (as I've been told) and is a species famous for
being blown far afield by these storms. CO is a surprising place in that it is
farther w. than the vast majority of these occurrences (or perhaps all), but I
am not sure that the distance is greater, as there have been multiple storm
waif Sooties in eastern Canada's interior. Finally, The Streak-backed Oriole is
a mega-rarity, no doubt. But it hardly "makes no sense" in that the occurrence
in CO is really just an extension of its somewhat regular northward vagrancy
into the SW USA. These explanations take no wonder away from their occurrence.
I still go WOW when I think of the Sooty Tern... but a goodly explanation
exists.

This discussion is likely winding down, and I am likely adding to the torture
of it... but before one puts forth a litany of great birds that have been
accepted in CO as evidence for the sparrow's natural origin, please consider
the context of these records first.

I am perhaps a bit more agnostic than Tony in saying the a Rufous-collared
Sparrow is utterly impossible in CO. However, I would say that the
probabilities, based on prior patterns, the species' natural history, etc. are
very very low. The bird shouldn't be ignored. Its presence is of interest for
reasons stated previously by Ted Floyd and me. However, making certain that the
occurrence is documented and noted is a far cry from suggesting wild origin.

Best Wishes to All
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont, CO