I promise I won't be long-winded. In response to Dave Cameron, features of recent captivity for a wild sparrow would include heavily worn plumage (especially flight feathers), a leg band, and an overgrown beak. The photos shared on this forum clearly showed the absence of any of these features.

Tony's analysis ignored the possibility that a Rufous-collared Sparrow born with a genetic makeup that encodes migratory behavior would indeed be physiologically adept to migrate. I agree that a non-migratory bird that suddenly decides to fly thousands of miles would be unfathomable. In migratory species, the phenotype of migratory behavior had to start sometime. Of course, only those genetic changes that lead to greater fitness will survive. If the Georgetown sparrow did migrate to Colorado and it doesn't find a mate, its unique genotype is doomed. However, there are numerous species with populations divided among migratory and non-migratory individuals.

Here is yet another scenario for this bird to be wild: A curious Rufous-collared Sparrow at the airport in Quito, Ecuador, hops into the cargo hold of an airplane. Well adapted to high elevation, it survives the 4-hr direct flight to Denver, where it deplanes and heads towards its familiar montane habitat at Georgetown. Human-assisted, yes. Captive, no.

Any progress on obtaining a sonogram?

Nick Komar
Fort Collins CO