On a cool, cloudy morning today Jeanne and I went to the Turkey Creek
Recreation Area on Fort Carson to see what might greet us on the Aiken Audubon
field trip that we will lead on June 6th. (See below for details.)

The whole area was very birdy this morning. Highlights included:

Lewis's Woodpecker (3) and Northern Flickers (6)
Warblers: Orange Crowned, Yellow, Yellow-rumped, Common Yellowthroat,
Yellow-breasted Chat
Cedar Waxwing gang of 30
Western and Mountain Bluebirds in impressive numbers
Catbird, Black-headed Grosbeaks, Great Horned Owl, Spotted Towhees
Sparrows: Vesper, Brewers, Lark, and a huge flock of Chipping sparrows dancing
through the grasses on a roadside
Many American and Lesser Goldfinches
Warbling and Plumbeous Vireos
and many more.

44 species in all.

============================
The field trip, June 6th, 8:00am

Even if you have told me you will attend, please send me an email so I can
provide TCR management with a number.

Turkey Creek Recreation Area is located 10 miles south of the main gate to Fort
Carson on Hwy 115. It is on the east side of the highway, directly across from
the entrance to Aiken Canyon and the Turkey Canyon Ranch housing area.

When you turn off Hwy 115, proceed on the paved road for 1/2 mile. The road
ends at the horse barns. Turn RIGHT and enter the parking lot on your right
which is next to the picnic area.

If we can get started on time, we may even have a chance to see a couple of
Turkeys!

Good birding!

Mel Goff
Colorado Springs