I made a Weld County run today with Nina Routh and Toni Rautus. Everywhere we went proved very birdy, with a top-notch warbler day at Crow Valley. We began at Roads 82/51 (the grasshopper sparrow site) where a new oil road now facilitates parking (is there anywhere in Weld County that is not being drilled? More on that later), and quickly picked up several of the sparrows and a burrowing owl. On the way to Crow Valley we made a detour over to Norma's Grove, where the highlights were a red-headed woodpecker (which suddenly are showing up everywhere) and northern waterthrush. There was a flock" of Empids on the fenceline west of the grove, and we managed to pull dusky and Hammond's out of it. At Crow Valley we had a great warbler day, inlcuding common yellowthroat, yellow warbler (lots), Virginia's warbler (4), Tennessee warbler, ovenbird (2, maybe three), Am. redstart (two females, one male), McGillivray's (2) and Wilson's (several). Eight warbler species, nine if you are still counting chats as a warbler (2). We refound the red-headed woodpecker that has been seen around the park (north end today), and the nighthawks have finally returned. I had a Denver Museum group out there last Saturday and there were inexplicably no nighthawks to be found. Today they were flying at mid-day and we saw around a dozen. Empids were abundant, including least, dusky, Hammond's, and probable willow. There are amazing infestations of Swainson's thrushes, catbirds and western wood-pewees. The "big miss" (for the second week in a row) was orchard oriole. I have always considered this bird a sure thing at Crow Valley in May, but I haven't seen one nor heard one reported this year. After Crow Valley we switched into waterbird mode and hit Road 59 Pond, which had the usual suspects including almost all summer ducks and a few Wilson's phalarops (no red-necks that we could find). We encountered a real surprise at Loloff. Last Saturday's trip had produced eight whimbrel and two spanking dunlin in full breeding attire. Today there were not only few birds, but since last week an oil rig has taken up residence. So, if you haven't been out there in the last couple of days- the large vacant area between the parking area and the lake is now occupied by a drill rig with all the accoutrements. Doesn't do much for the view. Latham had the usual suspects including a few very vocal Virginia rails. No bitterns, though we had two last week. At Beebe Draw there were only a few birds on the water, but in the wet meadow across the road was a flock of at least 150 ibis. Unfortunately, time did not permit a thorough search of the flock for a glossy. Odds are that there is one in there someplace......

Happy Memorial Day birding to all!

Norm Lewis
Lakewood