I checked the alfalfa field south of "downtown" Bellvue today (se of where 50E
(Bingham Hill Road) joins 23Rd (the road called "Skyline Drive" that runs along
the hogback east of Horsetooth Reservoir), which has been a reliable spot for
Bobolinks for several years.  Despite the first cutting of hay recently, one
male Bobolink sang intermittently, both from the field and from the east end of
the pivot sprinkler.  I usually park in a small 1-2 car-sized dirt pullout a
few tenths of a mile south of the above intersection, walk across to the east
side of 23Rd and listen/scan.  Today I heard a Bobolink on the far eastern part
of the field almost immediately, singing from down on the ground.  After
getting my scope, I did not see or hear it again for almost 45 minutes, when it
sang for quite a while from the sprinkler.  It's singing spot on the pivot was
on top of a silver box (label on this box has red and white lettering) atop the
sprinkler arm at a point above the first set of tires in from the east end of
the sprinkler.  Be sure to park completely off the roadway surface if you check
this spot.  23Rd is a busy highway in both directions.

I also checked a couple places in lower Rist Canyon (CR52E west of 27Rd).

A few tenths of a mile east of Whale Rock (about 1 mile west of what I call the
entrance to Rist Canyon (i.e., the junction with 27E)) there was a nice
assortment of "quality" foothills birds including Virginia's Warbler, Western
Tanagers, Cordilleran Flycatcher, Western Wood-Pewee, Lazuli Bunting, Clark's
Nutcracker (heard one), Plumbeous Vireo, all three nuthatches, Western
Wood-Pewee, Black-headed Grosbeak, Lesser Goldfinch and several other common
species.

About 6 miles west of 27E along 52E I stopped at a tract of USFS land that
formerly was a Picnic Area, since protected by a high barbed-wire fence due to
mis-use by paintball folks, tree-cutters, and tree-shooters.   Here I had a
nesting pair of American Three-toed Woodpeckers, both parents actively taking
turns feeding babies down in the aspen cavity.  The assortment of insects they
brought in was impressive and appeared to include large wood-boring beetle
(cerambycid) larvae, an unidentified thin, translucent larva of some sort,
large crane flies, etc.  Additional special species at this location included
Ovenbird (heard), Red Crossbill (heard), and an empid I never saw but think was
a Hammond's (this is also the species Jim "Empid Man" Sedgwick told me years
ago nests at this spot) .  I have Sibley's phrases for both Dusky and Hammond's
written in my pocket calendar and the suspect little flycatchers I hear never
sound like either one of the written descriptions.  Nathan, please write a set
of phrases that make sense.  Maybe it's me but I can't tell a "tsi-pik,
swi-vrk, grr-vik" from a "sibip, quwerrrp-psuweet" on my best days, let alone
lately.  Also, no little owls found in aspen holes where they have been in the
past.

On the way east back to Bellvue along 52E there was a pair of Western Bluebirds
on the telephone wires near a box first shown to me by Steve Messick of
Greeley.   This would have been about 4.5 to 5 miles east of 27E.

Dave Leatherman
Fort Collins