Greetings All,

RE: Cassin's Sparrows, there are a number of phenomenon likely involved in
various data presented.
To parse some out, the LONG DISTANCE vagrancy of Cassin's Sparrows may or may
not have much to do with summer irruptions n and w of their normal breeding
ranges.

Some of the long distance vagrants have been spring, some fall. I don't have
time to fully flesh this out right now, unfortunately... but spring
long-distance vagrancy in Cassin's may be due to inclement conditions on their
breeding grounds, or to other reasons ascribed to spring vagrancy. Fall
vagrancy tends to be more common in years of good nesting success (larger pool
of young birds to go astray).

However, relevant to what we are seeing this year (and I seem to remember that
last summer there were some foothill records, including Boulder County),
Cassin's Sparrows are somewhat well known for dispersing fairly far and wide if
conditions in their breeding grounds are unsuitable (usually drought). This
dispersal is mostly north and west.

Black-throated Sparrows behave very similarly.

This behavior is fairly widespread, I'd imagine, in arid-land birds,
particularly migratory ones. Brewer's Sparrows in e. Washington (which nest in
sagebrush flats)... during one drought year... simply moved into open lodgepole
pine woodlands to breed (or at least a number of birds did) as well as disperse
in small numbers into w. WA and w. OR.

All fascinating stuff.

These movements are called facultative, and are actually pretty common, and
show amazing versatility and adaptability to local conditions, and sometimes,
adjusting to novel habitats (as in the Brewer's Sparrows).

However, I am not sure a westward push of RH Woodpeckers (and I think e.
Warbling Vireos and maybe Orchard Orioles) is related to the movement of
Cassin's Sparrows other than they probably are all demonstrations of
facultative movements.

Best Wishes
Steven Mlodinow
Longmont CO