For the past two weeks I have been following a family of Common Ravens that
nested just south of Canon City.  The raven parents have been excellent
parents, patient with their offspring that were reluctant to fly, good
providers and protectors.  As I watched them at dusk tonight the parents
lured (they deposit their food on the ledge and the fledglings follow in
order to eat) two fledglings to a safe ledge for the night as I have
observed on 2 other occasions when I have been there near dusk.  The parent
birds flew off together as I have seen them do, sometimes to forage and
sometimes to fly together (appearing to spend quality time together without
the kids).  Then I heard the parents calling as they flew towards the ledge
where the fledglings were perched but they didn't stop, instead flying
several hundred feet past them.  They landed in a tree at the top of the
canyon ridge and continued to call repeatedly.  It looked like they were
attending to something I could not see--then a bobcat walked out in view.
The parent ravens called repeatedly and vociferously, escorting the bobcat
away from the ledge with their fledglings and even flew at and near it
several times.  This was very protective behavior as the bobcat was several
hundred feet from the ledge with the 2 fledglings (though a third fledgling
I could not find tonight might have been closer).

I got the ravens harassing the bobcat on videotape and have uploaded the
first videoclip onto my BirdsAndNature
<http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com>blog.
I will finish editing and upload the second video clip shortly.  This was a
very cool experience and the video of it came out quite good.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com