On July 3, while conducting Breeding Bird Atlas surveys in the Laughlin
Gulch-SE
block (Atlas Region 8, Saguache County), I observed a single male
Black-and-White Warbler singing spontaneously at approximately 0800.  I heard
the distinctive "wee-see-wee-see-wee-see" (squeaky wheel) song, and was
extremely surprised.  I am very familiar with this species, having spent three
summers in the south (Arkansas and Louisiana), so I my first thoughts were...
"Black-and-white Warbler, cool...", and then "what is this bird doing
here?...".  The bird was singing from a thicket of deciduous shrubs in the
understory of a mixed conifer-aspen stand.  About a minute or so after I first
heard the bird, it popped up from the shrubs and perched low in a tree about 20
feet in front of me.  At that point there was no doubt it was indeed a
Black-and-white Warbler.  Observed field marking for this species included a
black and white striped crown, with white eye stripe; black lores, ear patch,
and throat; white underparts with heavy black streaking on flanks; and two
distinctive white wing bars.  What a fantastic surprise, and just goes to show
how fun and interesting atlasing can be!  I did not observe a female or any
other evidence of breeding, so at this point I'm not even sure how to report
this bird for my Atlas block.  Was this a possible breeding bird or just a
lonely lost male?  According to the Birds of North America species account
(Kricher 1995), early July is still within the heart of this species' breeding
season, with the earliest records for fall migration initiating at the end of
July.  Thus, I am tempted to record the bird as a "Possible Breeder", using
breeding code "X" (singing male).

The location of the bird is as follows:

>From the town of Saguache, travel south on HWY 285 approximately 6 miles and
turn right onto County Road T (gravel).  Follow County Road T approximately 1.5
mi, then bear right following signs for Tracy Canyon and North Tracy Canyon.
Continue approximately 1.4 miles and turn right at sign for North Tracy Canyon.

The road becomes less improved at this point, but most vehicles with the
clearance of at least a Subaru should be able to continue.  Continue on the
North Tracy Canyon Road about 4.5 miles.  Along the way you'll come to a
make-shift gate/cattle guard (thick, metal wire with orange flagging) that you
can open and cross (please close to keep cattle from escaping).  Turn left onto
another unimproved road.  If you miss this turn, just up the road, you will see
a sign with a left arrow, then another sign for South Tracy Canyon Road, and
you
can turn left here and it will meet the other road.  Follow unimproved road
about 2 miles (winding through pinyon trees) and you will come to a gate.  Go
through the gate (don't forget to close it), and travel a little further until
you see a fire ring on the left side of the road.  That is a good place to
park,
as the road gets narrower ahead and it is difficult to turn around.  Walk up
the
road following a drainage with mixed conifer and aspen (habitat on the left),
about 1/4 mile or so, until you see a patch of deciduous shrubs.  This is where
I observed the bird.  The drive into the site takes about an hour from Saguache.

Good Birding!

Lynn Wickersham
Durango, CO