Cobirders,

On Sunday evening (7/10) at 6:45 pm I had about 50-75 common nighthawks fly
over
my house and neighborhood on the north side of Milner mountain, southwest of
Fort Collins.  They pased by within 5 minutes and were essentially heading
straight south.  Since their arrival in late May, I've only ever had 1-2 on any
given evening in my neck of the woods.

Yesterday (7/11), I had 13 common nighthawks zoom low directly over my house at
6:20 pm (even one at eye-level), again heading straight south, and were not
seen
again.  Seems early for the southbound migrants, but perhaps they had some
massive breeding failure up north and figured life is better in the Amazon.

best,

 Arvind Panjabi
Rocky Mountain Bird Observatory
5700' feet, Larimer County, CO
On the north slope of Milner Mtn
Mountain mahogany shrubland and grassland