I composed this email a week ago and it disappeared into etherspace.

Chipping Sparrows appeared in our yard July 10, and from then to at least July
18, we had one or two SINGING. Adults.

Ted Floyd posits that they perform a molt migration around this time. Do they
also perform a monsoon migration for a second breeding? We have confimred them
breeding in the Atlas block about 3 miles from our house, but we haven't ever
had them in summer in our yard. The Atlas confirmations (FF - feeding
fledgling) came in June.

Then, day before yesterday in Cherry Valley (upstate NY, west of Albany) Urling
found a Chipping Sparrow nest with 2 eggs (plus a cowbird egg). Second nesting,
I suppose, and I don't have access to our old records to figure out the
breeding phenology here.

Do they behave the same in CO as in NY?

Addendum to our home Atlas block: The Cassin's Sparrows that Bob Andrews found
2-3 weeks ago continue to sing and lark,but we failed to confirm any breeding
when we looked for them Carrying Food for fledgling/nestlings. Urling
definitely, however, confirmed the presence of a large and angry rattlesnake.

Hugh Kingery
Franktown, CO