Subject:  Re:  Winter Wrens at Calypso Falls/Rocky Mountain Natl. Park.

While lurking on the Colorado bird listserves, as I often do, I read with
interest about the Winter Wren being found this year at Calypso Falls in
Rocky Mountain National park.  I searched my records and found that I had
observed a Winter Wren singing its heart out on the 07-24-2001, Tuesday at
Calypso Falls.  That year I was not the person that originally found the
wren here.  Another birder, forgot the name, found it a couple of days
earlier that year and reported it on the Colorado bird listserve.

At the time I had brought my tape player along and so was able to identify
the bird as belonging to the Eastern form of this wren – I believe.  I
played both western and eastern forms and the song was like that of the
eastern birds.  To me it seems that the eastern birds songs are a bit more
musical than their western counterpart.

Speaking of needing a playback call – it was not necessary and the bird sang
almost nonstop from very exposed perches out over the creek.  Up until I
observed that particular bird.  My extent of finding Winter Wren during the
winter season in Colorado was a fleeting glimpse at best.

Though the reports are scant it seems that winter wrens are reported almost
every summer somewhere in the high mountains of northern Colorado.  Sooner
or later it would seem that someone, Perhaps the Colorado Breeding Atlas II,
will find and confirm a nesting record for this species in that region of
the state. Maggie Boswell, who reported this bird, reports that Pacific Wren
nests as close as the Uinta Mountains of Utah.  This is about the same
latitude as RMNP.

At the time, back in 2001, I took several pix of the bird.  My digital
camera at the time was not that good so the images were not great.  Here are
those images of this wren:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/6003789282/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/6003789224/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotobirder/6003788282/in/photostream