It was another mild night so I went to Holcim Wetlands again to see if the
Least Bittern might still be around.  The time came and went from the time I
last saw and photographed the Least Bittern.  As I was leaving at 8pm I
heard a distant call and saw a small dark bird that I thought at first might
be a Plegadis ibis that had come in earlier being 'escorted' by some
blackbirds.  It landed on the very large beaver lodge on the northeast side
of the pond and when I looked through my binoculars I saw that this was a
much smaller bird and that it was the Least Bittern.  After the blackbirds
flew off it slowly walked into the nearby reeds.  Though I had my camcorder
with me, it was too dark and far to get any video.  So the only photos/video
are the photos I got on Aug
6<http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/search?q=least+bittern&updated-max=2011-08-06T22%3A11%3A00-06%3A00&max-results=20>

Beside the Plegadis ibis that flew in to spend the night in the cattails, a
flock of 4 Common Nighthawks flew over twice (or maybe two flocks of 4 each)
at the Holcim Wetlands.  This afternoon several Cedar Waxwings visited my
yard to feast on fruit on shrubs.

This morning I went to several locations along the Arkansas River where
landbird migration had been hot for past 5 days but, as if someone slammed
the door shut, the only likely migrants were a few Yellow Warblers at each
location.

SeEtta Moss
Canon City
http://BirdsAndNature.blogspot.com <http://birdsandnature.blogspot.com/>