Hi all:

I recently entertained a query from a friend as to why the Colorado Bird
Records Committee (CBRC) asks for documentation of occurrences of certain
species that are regular (some are common) in parts of the state, but rare or
non-existent in other parts of the state (see
http://www.cfo-link.org/downloads/review_species.pdf).  Since my answer might
be useful to more than just the querent, I thought that I would reply to this
venue.  But, first, I will discuss the importance of bird-records committees.
For those that think such committees are anathema, please don't delete this
missive quite yet; please read on.

Submitting documentation to relevant bird-records committees is important to
ornithology to enable the layperson to contribute to the science.  Without some
sort of review of rare-bird occurrence, ornithology would be unable to utilize
much of the information and data generated by the 10s of 1000s of birders,
because ornithologists would be unable to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Ornithology certainly cannot be expected to accept any sighting from any person
as valid, because all of us make mistakes, whether we care to admit them or
not.  I can recall visiting the Great Smoky Mountains in my first year of
birding and, because I didn't put Turkey Vulture on my list of expected species
there, I noted -- and was certain thereof -- 27 adult Golden Eagles in a kettle
at one point.  Upon returning home, my birding mentor kindly pointed out where
I had gone wrong.  This experience was the first of many humbling events in my
birding career, and I will readily admit to still making ID mistakes, though I
believe/hope that I don't make errors quite as egregious as the Golden Eagle
mistake.

With the point of the above paragraph as given, birders in many political units
have decided to establish committees of skilled birders to review occurrences
of birds rare to the particular political unit, almost always under the
auspices of a particular respected organization (the CBRC is under the auspices
of the Colorado Field Ornithologists, the owner of this listserve).  A decision
by a group of people is almost always more conservative than the most liberal
opinion of any given member, and conservatism is usually best when dealing with
aspects that alter the understanding of a particular topic (though there are
many exceptions).  That is why simple submission of data through the eBird
review process is not enough for reports of review-list species, because that
process simply changes who the single person responsible for record acceptance
from the observer to the reviewer.  Yes, for the most part, eBird reviewers are
highly skilled and responsible individuals, but they are still single
individuals and one of the reasons that committees are committees is to attempt
to arrive at a consensus of opinion that might be more acceptable than having a
single person be the arbiter of all.  A group of people also brings differing
experience, knowledge, understanding, and -- not to be considered
inconsequential -- variety of acquaintances, which may allow for more thorough
discussion and treatment of individual reports.

Though these committees certainly exist in order to come to some group decision
on the reliability or acceptability of particular reports of bird occurrence,
one of their other primary reasons for existence is as an archive -- some way
to store all of the information about bird occurrence that has been submitted
so that future researchers can access it.  Of course, that archival mandate is
one that is never questioned by birders.  What gets questioned is the rationale
behind the review of bird reports and why cannot a person's word simply be
taken as is.  For that, see Golden Eagle report, above.  One important thing to
keep in mind is that a person's list is a personal thing, one can count on it
whatever one cares to.  However, science requires some form of proof.  For
those old enough, one might recall the furor created about "cold fusion" in the
late 1980s (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_fusion).  For science, it matters
not what any individual states, but what can be proven.  The take-home message,
if it hasn't already been delivered, is that anyone can make a mistake, so any
individual report can reasonably be expected to be questioned, particularly
when that report alters our understanding of the world, even if it's just a
miniscule portion of that understanding, such as the distribution of Red-winged
Blackbird.

Let us consider a hypothetical sighting of a single Red-winged Blackbird in
Campo, Baca County, Colorado, on 22 April.  If the reporter had actually
mis-identified something else as the reported Red-winged Blackbird, it doesn't
really alter our understanding of Red-winged Blackbird distribution, because
the species is, at worst, uncommon to, at most, abundant in the area around
Campo at all times of year.  However, if the bird mis-identified as a
Red-winged Blackbird were actually a Cassin's Finch, that would change our
understanding of that species' distribution, at least a little.  And, if that
mis-identified bird were actually a Tawny-shouldered Blackbird, that would
change our understanding of that species' distribution quite a lot.  The more
radically a particular observation would change current understanding, the more
detail about that observation will be required to be accepted by science.  This
bit is of particular importance when dealing with the subject of regional
rarities.

Colorado sits astride an incredible juxtaposition of differing biogeographical
regions and that fact is the reason that the state list is nearing 500 species
(when that milestone is reached, CO would be the only non-coastal,
non-Mexico-border state with that distinction).  However, because of that
habitat variety and a host of other biogeographical reasons, particularly the
differences between eastern and western Colorado, there are quite a lot of
species that are common (even abundant) on one side but unknown or virtually
unknown on the other.  Good examples of this include Grasshopper Sparrow
(common to abundant breeder on the eastern plains; but only 1 or 2 good records
west of the eastern foothill edge) and Purple Martin (uncommon but local
breeder in western Colorado, but with only ~10 or so good records in eastern
Colorado).  Additionally for Purple Martin, there is some concern that the
"eastern" subspecies and the "western" group of subspecies might be separate
species, though I suspect that this will be shown not to be true.  However, if
a split were more likely, one can easily see how the CBRC might want
documentation for such a rare "species."  I find that it helps if one imagines
a state boundary running along the west side of Larimer, Boulder, Jefferson,
Douglas, El Paso,Fremont, Huerfano, and Las Animas counties and then
considering what the Records Committee for the state of "Western Colorado"
would like to see as far as documentation of bird occurrence.  Or what the
ECBRC would like to see.  Even on the eastern plains of Colorado, there is a
small suite of species, exemplified by Field Sparrow, that are of uncommon to
common occurrence in the easternmost tier of counties, but which rarely stray
west of there.  Or, at least, rarely get found and identified correctly west of
there (I've seen multiple birders identify immature White-crowned Sparrows as
Field Sparrows).

For my final example of the importance of documenting regional rarities, I
refer you to the occurrence this past winter of a Curve-billed Thrasher in
Eagle County.  That species (as currently constituted) is a widespread and
uncommon to common breeder in southeastern Colorado, but rare north of the
Palmer Divide and virtually unknown west of the eastern foothill edge, despite
the species' predilection for vagrancy.  As such, this out-of-range occurrence
received little play on the listserves in Colorado.  However, Jacob Cooper,
interested in bagging a pretty darned "good" county bird, went up to ogle the
thing.  Though I don't know, I imagine that he was pretty surprised when he saw
the bird and noted that it appeared to be referable to the western form of
Curve-billed Thrasher typically found in the U.S. only in Utah, Nevada,
Arizona, and California and which looks and sounds different from the eastern
form that so many of us have seen in the semi-desert areas of southeastern
Colorado.  Since he took pictures and submitted a complete report to the CBRC,
upon acceptance by that body, science will have gained a bit more understanding
about Curve-billed Thrasher distribution.  However, there is strong published
evidence (genetic and otherwise) that the eastern and western forms of the
species are actually separate species and if that is so, science will have
gained a much larger chunk of understanding, as the occurrence would be the
first for Colorado.

To bring us back to the archival aspect of any bird-records committee's duties,
let us imagine that Jacob did not submit documentation to the committee.  Then,
when his computer crashed or his house burned down, all physical records of
that bird's occurrence will have been lost.  Future researchers would have no
recourse but to discount the occurrence, as there would be not a scintilla of
proof of such an important record.  However, since he did submit a record,
those bits of physical proof -- the pictures and the written documentation --
will be archived at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, as are all reports
submitted to the CBRC (with duplicates of all records held by the current
Chair) -- even the ones that are found lacking in some respect and were not
accepted by the CBRC.  All of those records will always remain available to
future researchers.  That cannot be said of individual personal websites, photo
collections, etc.

In summation, birding is a very individual hobby and I feel that one of the
primary reasons that it is so popular, is that it is so flexible.  A given
enthusiast can take the hobby as far as s/he cares to, whether just enjoying
watching birds at a backyard feeder or researching and writing scholarly
publications on bird distribution.  Or anywhere in between or sideways.
However, all of us that do more than just ogle birds at feeders without caring
to put names to them can join the uncountable thousands of people that
contribute to the science of ornithology by dutifully reporting -- and
defending -- ones sightings.  To extend our understanding of what is the
best-known group of organisms on the planet -- and most of that knowledge
gained by amateurs!  I strongly encourage submission of checklists to eBird
(www.ebird.org) and also submission of reports of Colorado review-list species
(http://www.cfo-link.org/downloads/review_species.pdf) to the CBRC
(http://cfo-link.org/CBRC/login.php5).

I thank you for your time.