I don't think it's unusual. The past several summers, I've observed both Pine Siskins and Lesser Goldfinches regularly strip and consume leaf blades from sunflower plants (Helianthus annuus) around our house, often leaving just the petiole and midrib of the leaf. According to the AOU's "Birds of North America," in addition to consuming seeds, Pine Siskins are "also known to eat tender buds of various deciduous trees, as well as soft stems and leaves of forbs." (Sunflowers and their Asteraceae relatives around here are all forbs.)

Dave Steingraeber
Fort Collins, CO

At 12:10 PM 8/24/2011, you wrote:
Hi All,

Anyone have any information on this?

Jim Beatty

----- Original Message -----
From: <mailto:jbre...@durango.net>John Bregar
To: <mailto:durangobirdc...@yahoogroups.com>durangobirdc...@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:56 PM
Subject: [DBC] Plant-eating Siskins!

Bob Powell asked me to post this report of strange Pine Siskin behavior:

Bob lives in one of the forest communities in the Florida River drainage NE of Durango. He puts out seeds for birds, and Pine Siskins are one of his most common visitors. He planted some cultivated flowers around his home, most of which have been ravaged by rock squirrels and such, but one of the plants he purchased, an unidentified cultivated membor of the aster (sunflower)family, has suffered attacks from another source. Pine Siskins!

Pine Siskins are eating the leaves off this plant. Bob says they are not eating the seedheads, nor are they eating insects on the leaves, but they are actually slicing the leaves into pieces and eating them!

I have never heard of such bizzare behavior in Pine Siskins. Does anyone have an explanation?

John Bregar