Early this afternoon I did a bunch of birding on my way to work. While driving
towards the County Line road on E CR 40 (also called E CR 44) I saw three Cliff
like swallows flying over the eastern most ditch. I stopped the car just as
they were flying over the road and got binoculars on them as they were flying
away. I wasn't able to pick up much detail on them, except the bird I was
looking at closest appeared to have a pale cheek. Just when I thought I wasn't
going to get enough detail I heard one of the birds give two call notes that I
have never heard from Cliff Swallows. It had a call that sounded similar to a
Barn Swallow but more clearer. I then listened to the call note on my Sibley
app and it sounded identical. I am not sure if all 3 birds were Cave Swallows
or if just one of the birds were, but from the two call notes it gave I was
safely able to eliminate at least one of the birds from being a Cliff Swallow.
I stayed at the spot for 20 more minutes without seeing the birds again, but I
hope someone can refind the bird and get a photograph for an official first
state record.
A few other birds of interest:
Sanderling - 2 at Timnath, 1 basic / juv plumage on the NW shore and 1
alternate plumage.
All 4 regular peeps (Baird's, Semipalmated, Western, and Least) on the
extensive mudflats of the outlet at Timnath Reservoir, scan from the County
Line Rd.
Caspian Tern - 1 adult at Fossil Creek Reservoir on the west shore of the
reservoir sitting with a bunch of gulls.

Cole Wild
Loveland

Sent from my iPhone